So...that didn't go to plan

 Hi, Remember Me?

Wow, I know that I've fallen off the face of the earth before, but I think that was a new record. No, I'm not pregnant, but pretty much every other possible thing that could have happened to me did between now and when I last posted.

So here's a kind of concise update or what I've been up to.

Lunasa Feis

My first second chance feis! The only thing was...I did better the first time? 

I mean, I'm totally chalking it up to the fact the one of my competitors slipped and almost fell in the first competition, but I did not get last. I got second to last. LOL. Dancing wise... my treble jig was pretty rough both times, like I literally just kicked my leg up instead of doing a click at one point. I got the comment "doesn't know material" and I was like YOU'RE RIGHT! The second chance went better, but I placed worse. I still ended up having a really great competition because I knew all but one person in my competition and we spent the day cheering each other on. My friend Ceili got her last first to move into open and there were some great photos are on Instagram that won't post here but we were all hugging and screaming for her. I saw my friend Cayla that lives in Oregon now and we danced together which was awesome, but I also think threw off my game a little because I didn't want to bump into her.

Did socks and the full wig this time. I think it looks better!


September and October were NUTS

The day after labor day, I dropped a cabinet door on my foot and it hurt BAD! It hurt so bad that that I thought I broke it, but luckily it ended up only being a bad bruise. Unfortunately, I had to take a few weeks off from class and miss out on a feis in October. I was feeling iffy about the Oireachtas after Lunasa because of how Treble Jig was going, but that pretty much sealed the deal and I bowed out, not wanting to look like an ass or embarrass my teachers.

It was probably all for the best because at the end of September I had the opportunity of a life time and was offered a job working at the public school that my son attends. Leaving my old job two months into the school year was not ideal, but it was so worth it! Packing up 5 years of stuff in a few weeks plus leaving sample lesson plans for my replacement was not fun though. I can't imagine trying to train seriously for the oireachtas in addition.

This blog isn't about being a teacher, but it's been nice to be supported and appreciated and having a three minute commute is pretty awesome too!

Lenihan Feis

I was ready to just be done with Treble Jig and Slip Jig when I decided not to do the Oireachtas, but my TC convinced me to do one last feis. This was one of my favorite ones when I was in Grades. It was a nice big stage and we had one of my favorite musicians. Of the three competitions I did this year, I definitely thought I danced my best at this one (Though it was still not great, my stamina wasn't ideal) the results didn't show it. To add insult to injury there were five of us in the competition and they only placed 3 even though they TOTALLY could have placed us all. I am trying to tell myself it will mean more when it's not a mercy placement...but gah a sash would have been great.

I looked good though, and that was half the battle


New Steps and One Year Anniversary

So after a month break, I finally got back to class this past weekend. It was my one year anniversary of being back to Irish Dance! As much as I wish I was farther along in my journey, I have made progress! My first lesson I learned one slip jig step. This year I learned all my reel steps! Picking up things much quicker!

I'll post my goals for 2023 in a separate post,

Kay

Comments

Popular Posts