Enjoy the Process

 Progress takes time.

Someone posted this on their Instagram story earlier today, and I felt like I needed the reminder. I have always been the kind of person who wants to be perfect. I don't like making mistakes. It's not a good habit and I am aware of it, but seeing that quote is making me want to reflect on what went well today instead of what didn't.

It had almost been a month since I'd seen my regular private lesson TC and I'm pretty sure we did hard shoe the last time we were together so I'm sure anything I'd done with my slip jig would have been considered progress. That being said, I think I got over ambitious this week. He sent me the video of my third step and I wanted to have it ready to go for our lesson today. That I feel was a success, but then I got in my head that I could probably do a full and I ended up being disappointed. I've been so proud of my cross training and how my body finally seems to be getting fitter that I think I want to rush into things before it's time.

I am able to do all of my steps individually to music. I was able to dance two steps together. They weren't pretty, but that's a step in the right direction. We spent a lot of time working on details, and it initially made me frustrated, but now I'm telling myself that I'm at the point where I'm past remembering what comes next and we can work on making it pretty. That being said, I'm wondering if Treble Jig is going to end up being my stronger round again LOL.

My TC did assure me that he was happy with what I've been up to and that we'll return to hard shoe next week so I can have both completed rounds. It's probably for the best as I've been listening to nothing but slip jigs and chanting my steps for weeks. I have some things I want to practice before then. Mostly the transitions between steps, but there are a few other things in each step that I'd like to be better the next time we see each other. That and I'll have my third treble jig step to get under my belt.

I think I'm finally signing up for a feis, and not just a class one, a real one. Both Christian and Courtney feel like its time to get back out there and it will give us a hard deadline for cleaning all this up. My Cross training program is coming to an end, so I think stamina will be the next big thing I want to work on. I may do Putnam County the Weekend of my Birthday (Got to make sure my parents or Jon can watch Dom or are able to come with me) and its a little less than two months, still plenty of time to prepare. No set for now. 

Now to remember that six months ago I was still feeling like something was missing at skating and to be proud of how far I've come. It's good to have goals, but enjoy the process as you crush them.

Until next week,

Kay

Comments

Popular Posts