Upheaval and Unanswered Questions

Well, I don't know about you but A LOT has changed since I wrote you last. I'm waiting for the official word, but as of this morning it was announced that public schools in my district are going to be closed until April 22nd! We follow the archdiocese of Hartford (I work at a Catholic School) but also follow what the town does for busing and weather related closures, so I think it's only a matter of time before it's official for us as well.

I've been teaching remotely for a week now. My principal was ahead of the curve and most places are starting this coming week. It had been not too bad. I had made my initial plan last week and while I think it worked...I plan on tweaking it slightly to make it more equitable for people who might not have a computer or want their child on a computer for hours. I would wake up around 8, log my lesson plans for the day, research programs for STEAM for about an hour (We are switching to a STREAM school if we ever return), and draft up everything for the following day. I'm available to answer emails for most of the day and I conference call with my boss and coworkers twice a week. So far, It's been working but that was back when were doing this for two weeks, not six. I'm anticipating some panicky parents this week, but it's too be expected I guess.

Being home with the baby has been wonderful, and I've been writing so much which makes my very full as I was feeling really stifled before this all went down. I've also been learning Russian (Da!) and overall feeling well rested and trying to keep busy and not worried about what everyone is posting online. We'll see if I keep feeling this way in several weeks.

As can probably be expected, all skating rinks are closed and competitions are postponed. I was supposed to skate at Champions tomorrow but it has been postponed to the beginning on June. Hopefully, this will pass but if schools are going to be closed until almost the end of April, I imagine that I probably won't be back in skates until at least then. That's hoping that this all blows over by then...so I guess my question is what do I do about my program?

We slapped it together so quickly. I only did it once in front of a crowd and it wasn't really adult 3 ready at that point even before the fall...so do we keep working on it once we come back to normal life? Or maybe work on all the basics and do something new? I guess that is really something for my coach to figure out later. Time will tell I guess.

In other skating related news. My coach suggested buying one of those office ice turning board things. It arrived yesterday followed by the news that someone at the local Amazon warehouse tested positive for the Virus so...I'm going to wait a few days until I pull it out. Maybe I'll have crazy good spins and jumps before I learn how to do cross overs? Doubtful. Will I fall on my face? Likely. Time will tell I guess.

Still no navy blue mesh but who knows when I'll be seeing that. LOL or my sewing machine. It's at my mother in laws house. Time will tell I guess.

Hope you are all healthy and well,

Kay



Comments

Popular Posts