8 Weeks In...

The session is winding down, and the showcase is approaching!

Learn to Skate Lesson

We spent the class preparing for the showcase. We have a whole routine now! We are a bit of a mess in places, but I think we are too busy laughing to be too hung up about it. I'm getting really good at that hockey turn into two foot turn and God willing I might be able to skate backwards and keep up in two weeks. The ice dancers stopped to watch us (When they weren't almost smashing into us mid-cha-cha) and said we looked like we were having a blast. Hopefully it translates in a few weeks.

Private Lesson

Lovely is finished! I didn't run out of music this week! Every week it gets better so I'm hoping by March 8th it will be decent. I told my coach that I'm trying not to be too hard on myself because I've only been doing this for EIGHT WEEKS. I think the fact that I'm even going out there and trying is a good baseline. It's not ready for March 22nd yet, but it will get there and my coach and I discussed adding things to make it more complicated when I do Nutmeg State Games in July.

It was a productive lesson. Not only did we finish my program, but I also worked on two foot turns (I have no problem doing them in place, but when I'm moving they become the worlds tiniest circle.) I have a feeling that these will still not be great, but they've at least improved. She had me jump to get the feeling of the movement quickly and sharply and dear Lord, I need work on not being afraid of my toe picks or I'm never going to do anything beyond these turn jump exercises. That, and I'm going to fall and crack my head open because I keep landing on the flat part of my blades. Finally, I'm starting to be able to skate backwards and not look like I'm trying to twerk. Ironically enough, I did my best when I was talking to my coach about how I'm thinking about making a dress and was distracted. It's not perfect yet and I can't glide (which is kinda yikes because It's a requirement for adult 3) but I'm getting there!

Dress

I have decided to try to make a dress. I bought a pattern online, now I have to measure and finalize what fabric I want to use. I know I want Navy Blue and that I'm going to have mesh sleeves like my dance dress. I like velvet, but I'm not sure how it's going to look with stones. I'm laughing that I wanted a lighter dress for Irish dance at the end there, and now I want stuff that we'll keep me warm on the ice. My coach was impressed that I wanted to try....LOL we'll see what happens.

The Future

My coach and I sort of started talking about what my plans are after the session ends in a few weeks (There is a make up lesson the week after the showcase and then I have to figure out what I'm going to do.) My coach and I talked about upgrading my program, learning how to actually jump, and she (not me, I swear) brought up adult nationals. I was kind of like "you think I can be that good?" and she was like "absolutely".I think I have to be at least pre-bronze before I can go and it's going be a few years before I get there but how funny would it be if I get to Figure Skating Nationals when I never got to Irish Dance Nationals? I also feel really lucky to have found a coach that believes I am capable of such things. As I've mentioned before, I found that at SRL and was worried I'd never find it again.

I've got another entry in me, but I'll save it for tomorrow or the next day. For now, I'll talk to you soon,

Kay

Comments

Popular Posts