Peace Out 2018

Happy New Year!

I went back to see what I did for an end of the year post last year and forgot that I never did one. This time last year, I was pretty much at rock bottom in regards to dance. I had made an appointment to start therapy (but hadn't started going), I had gotten last at the Oireachtas, and my results at competitions weren't much better. I'll be honest and even say that I wasn't very happy in other aspects of my life as well. Here I sit over 365 days later (My last post in 2017 was on December 1st), and I am stunned at how much things have changed for the better.

First of all, I am a therapy graduate. Have been for almost six months now. I hope that I will never have to go back, but I know that if I do, I will be given strategies to cope with my anxiety. Even if they are placebo ones. LOL

I am proud of my dancing. Yes, you've heard about my first places a million times now. But I really don't think I would have gotten here without picking myself back up after Oireachtas 2017, buckling down, having priorities (even though I hated only doing my least favorite dances for months), and listening to the support system around me. Yes, I had competitions where I got nothing. Yes, there are still times that I try to do what the prelim and open girls do it makes my skin crawl because it looks and feels so awkward, but I know that I can keep on improving and get better. I also really think watching my friend recently drop down and do so well is also spurring me on. You can be 29 and keep up with teens. I cannot wait to show everyone how much I love dance, and how much I want this.

Okay, okay...I know I'm getting weepy and preachy. I'll wrap this part up by saying how great a year 2018 was. It taught me perseverance and tenacity, and that hard work will pay off. Even if it takes two years. LOL

Same Feis a year apart. I would say things are going better!

I will say that I need to get my shit together in regards to a diet. I am the type of person that when they are stressed or tired, eats poorly (FAST FOOD). Despite this, I'm able to do lots of difficult Irish dance things, but I'd like to eat healthier to not make things harder for myself as I continue to add more difficult elements to my steps. Also you know, not looking like a sack of lard in my solo dress would be good. Tomorrow is like Fat Tuesday because the diet starts Wednesday and dance classes resume Thursday.

I'll give you a quick update while I've got you. I already mentioned that I'm doing Fairfield County Championships (This might be my 4th time now. Woah) and Feis Na Blian Nua (haven't been to this one since I was in advanced beginner) in a few weeks. I'm also taking exams for grades 1-3. I feel prepared with the exception of primary reel because we had to make up a step but I've still got time to make it solid. I'm also excited because I'd like to continue my upswing and get even closer to prelim. Here's hoping the confidence and hard work continue to come!

I FINALLY tweaked my reel lead to make it less uncomfortable for my spazzy brain. I'm able to do it on each foot separately, but due to lack of space I haven't had time to run the full step yet, but planning on it on Thursday. I'm not as worried about nailing this one yet, because I still really need to be focusing on slip jig, but it would be nice to finally go out there and kill it. I am also in the process of upgrading my hornpipe lead. I can do it, but it's just not solid like what I currently do so I may keep it the way it is for now. I also learned my half step and can actually do it, so hopefully they will keep senior ladies Reel/Hornpipe so I can actually put it to good use. Slip jig is coming along nicely! After being so close last time, I may use the harder second step again to see if it can push me over the edge.

I'm hoping that 2019 will be successful and everything that I am planning on it being. I hope you all had a great 2018 and that your New Year will be bright with prospect as well!

Kay

Comments

Popular Posts