Summer Practicing Week One

Okay, the week is not over yet, but I'm in the mood to blog so I figured I would update you now. It's been a hectic week with the holiday, working 5 days in a row, and having a writing assignment but I managed to be somewhat productive with practicing.

Monday: 4th of July, no practicing but I stalked social media relentlessly for NANs results (I did this all week) I also relaxed with family. I ate really bad, but I'm hoping that's behind me now. I also got paid time and a half at the grocery store.

Tuesday: Practiced Soft shoe for half an hour.

Wednesday: Swam laps with the man and worked on jumps in water (I feel like this is probably not helping me at all because of the whole weightlessness thing, but trying to figure out how to snap that bottom leg for birds and crabs and things)

Thursday (Today): I practiced for an hour. It's been really humid and in the 90's all week, so I got up fairly early but by the end I was still dripping and gross. It was worth it though, I did my prizewinner reel steps to music both stepping down the line and in full. I wouldn't say that it's perfect or ready for the next feis, but it's so much better than the last time I danced it in class and that was only stepping down the line. I'm hopeful that we'll be moving it up during the fall if not before.

Friday: I don't think I'll be practicing. I love him dearly, but it's very hard to practice when my husband is home. Not only does he use my practice space to dry our laundry sometimes, but he doesn't "get" the need to practice when there is no regular classes or competitions in the immediate future. He is one of those lucky people that is just naturally good at things (He plays the guitar) and doesn't need to practice so he thinks it's strange that I always want to drill things even when it's 90 degrees and my practice space is a sun room. But I digress. I will be swimming laps again though so that's better than nothing. I might do a core tomorrow too.

Saturday: Dance open house! I'm preforming at least twice, taking a yoga class, and a master class so I'm thinking I'm good exercise wise. Practicing...eh...I'll probably get to do my slip jig a bunch of times...

Sunday: I'm going to Cirque de Soliel in NYC so city walking!

Not too shabby actually. I have another week of working before vacation and then dance camp so I'm hoping to get a lot accomplished. I'm very pleased with both soft shoe dances. Not only is my new reel coming along, but I feel like my slip jig is starting to get solid. One of the things I've been really trying to do is have a "stage persona" in each dance and get it to be confident so that I do it all time. Sometimes at a feis I feel like my adrenaline takes over and it can get a bit monotonous so I'm trying to change it up. Where I'm going with this is that I've been trying to make my slip jig daintier and more lady like. So far it's worked as I've got that third. Now to fix that pesky changemant part because as much as I've grown to love that 2nd AB/Novice step, I like to challenge myself. Hard shoe went pretty well, though I was pretty much exhausted by my set I'm hoping the more I drill things the better it will get. Still figuring out my stage persona's for those.

Finally, and I'm not trying to get to oexcited, but might have found another dress option. Stay tuned!

Kay

Comments

  1. Sounds like you have a great week planned out! :)

    I really like the idea of the stage persona. I didn't think about it too much before, but now that I've moved up into Adult Novice, I think it's probably more important. I was always concerned with listening to the music and making sure my steps were correct, but it's fun to work on how you show "yourself" on stage. Does that make sense? Thanks to you, I'm going to work on my stage persona more; sounds fun! ;)

    You are making so much progress! You should post a video of your soft shoe steps; I love the more advanced dances. We are learning a Novice reel and it's lovely! Once I get it down, I'll try to post a video. :)

    Have a great rest of your week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww thanks!

    I hope you love your new steps. I love the challenge of mastering new things! I really think being confident helps when you are dancing out. I always try to smiled, but sometimes the adrenaline gets the better of me.

    Maybe I'll take a video soon. Probably can't tape the whole thing, but maybe the lead around!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts