Where I'm at Now

I figured I hadn't done a post talking about how things have been going in class and other dance related things.

Tonight was my last class of the 2015-2016 school year. It's been very fascinating to see the progression at the end of each dance year. I went from struggling to learn, the following year I was a bit more confident. I felt solid with my advanced beginner soft shoe dances, and was wrapping my head around the hard shoe steps. Now a year later I am very proud of what I've accomplished. I am preparing to compete new reel steps in Prizewinner, my hard shoe is finally starting to come together. Tonight my TC said that my slip jig is 90% where it needs to be. It was a great way to end for the summer. Looking forward to where I will be this time next year. I really, really hope that I'll be thinking about Prelim.

That being said, it will be good to rest. Tuesday's class was awful, my legs seriously felt like they were made of lead. I will chalk a lot of this up to the fact that I rang groceries for six hours and then immediately afterword went to dance, but it was a pretty awful time, I didn't want to finish dance for the year feeling like I was taking a step back in my dancing. I'm so happy that tonight ended up going better. Rest will still be good, my shins have been flaring sometimes and I don't want that to become a chronic problem. Haha I'll be resting on Monday though because I'm going to a feis on Sunday...

...No seriously...I'm going to the New Haven Feis on Sunday. I know what you are thinking. I know I said I was taking a break and I still am...in July because I'll be on vacation. Guys, I don't really have a fantastic explanation for this. I really don't do impulsive things like this. But, I heard that they were accepting late entries and seeing as how the Hartford feis was not the greatest experience this year and I really really want to keep working and bettering myself...OH I DON'T KNOW. I will have low expectations and now that one of my dancing rivals has moved up to prizewinner I'm curious to see how it will go. Plus *Pretending that I'm the 7th Stark child* The Oireachtas are coming! Queen in the North!

Okay I should probably go to bed soon. Here are a few bullet point updates that I haven't gotten to yet but have been meaning to:

-I now know both steps of the prizewinner reel. Since we focused on other things towards the end of the year this dance went on the back burner. It's not ready at the moment. But it will be.
-We changed a directional aspect of my slip jig. That has cleared up many of the issues that I had. Unfortunately, the changemant part is still rough, but my teacher is hopeful. Maybe doing it Sunday? Stay tuned
-Crazy story: My childhood dance teacher message me and WANTS ME TO TEACH AN IRISH DANCE MASTER CLASS AT THE DANCE CAMP I USED TO ATTEND YEARS AGO! I can't believe it! More on that in a future post.
-I can't remember if I actually told you what the news was that I had back in February and March but now that my teacher is starting to announce it to people at our dance school I feel better about posting it on here. Here we go, another amazing opportunity: I'll be teaching a pre-beginner class at our studio next year! Not only will this be great experience for when I finally decide to take the exam someday, but I'm hoping that it will help me as a teacher or dancer in general. Plus it's helping make dance affordable which we know I need!
-The dress saga continues. I found a beautiful white one that was in my price range, but when I showed it to my teacher she said I'd have to tan my entire body for it to look good so still on the hunt. My cousin is really interested in making me a dress and she went to FIT for fashion design so I feel like she would definetly do a great job. She also assured me she has connections so that it wouldn't be nearly as expensive. My TC would still have to approve everything and since I'm not ready for a solo yet (but I hope I'm getting closer everyday) so I'll save that conversation for when it's actually relevant.
-Finally, leaps that require snapping my back leg up (like crabs and birds!) are coming along!

OKAY! Going to bed!

Kay


Comments

Popular Posts