Feeling Like a Prelim Dancer (28 Days)

I've been trying to update here and post on my senior ladies group and I'm struggling. Not because today didn't go well, because it was great, but because I'm looking for way to describe the gambit of emotions I'm feeling. Here goes nothing.

Since I made the decision to come back, I've been working toward being a preliminary championship dancer. I chased the title before I had Dominik. I felt like I was racing the clock, like I was an imposter among the others in my class. While I think I've been much nicer to myself this time around and my mantra has been "just happy to be here", it hadn't really hit me. I felt like the goal of competing was always so far away.

Today was the first day I danced that I FELT like I was a prelim dancer.

I'm not getting too a head of myself here, there is definitely work to be done between now and June 5th. I did a full slip jig today and while it was definitely better than a full treble jib, there were still some places (especially in the half) were you could tell I was getting tired. I think it was more so that I felt confident. I felt powerful. I told my TC that if I had to dance tomorrow, I would be okay with how I danced today. Obviously I want it to go better, but I'd be at peace.

Can you imagine how things might have gone differently if I'd always had that mindset?

I think I also mentioned it before, but we're also living in an alternate universe where my slip jig is better than my treble jig. I won't ask questions, I'll just go with it.

We spent the majority of my private this week breaking my slip jig into chunks and I think that really helped the flow of the steps. We also modified a few of the clunky things I was doing (I think that's the joy of learning steps through video but oh well) I think the whole thing is much more comfortable now. I also wore my dress and it felt good. It rides up a little as I dance so I think trying to trim up a little between now and the feis might fix that and possibly packing tights just in case. (I hate tights, but I'd hate to get tanked because a judge thinks my dress it too short.)

Courtney and I also chatted about my plans after June 5th. I made the decision in the middle of the private to do Hartford on June 5th and then compete at the end of August instead of doing the Yonkers Feis the week after. While I think things are going in a great direction, I just don't see myself placing yet (I mean, if I do cool, but being realistic.) and would rather work hard all summer so that a I can be that much more comfortable with things. I also think this will keep Jon a bit happier before I'm like "by the way, I'm doing 5 competitions in 3/4 months BYE!"

The other thing that is exciting/a relief is that she wants to do something in the summer with me since we agree that a week of dance camp isn't really realistic for me anymore. We've got time to sort it out, but excited to know I can still do the Oireachtas! and finally figure out what I'm doing for a set.

Now to rest because I'm very sore,

Kay



Comments

Popular Posts