You Are Unlimited

 This might be a long one, so strap in.

I'll start with how my weekly private went. I spent most of my week drilling stationary bits in my treble jig and it definitely paid off. Add the fact that I had the proper leggings this week and I felt like I was more prepared than last time. This coming week I plan to drill the moving pieces because a) I keep on confusing the ones in the first and the second step and that needs to stop and b) They are awkward and I need them to flow better.

We spent the majority of the lesson running steps one after the other. We'd do the first, then left foot of the first and right first of the second, and then the whole second before taking a long break. I think it went pretty okay. I imagine that I probably could do at least a step and a half right now and I only need to be able to do two for the class feis and I've still got 3 or 4 more privates between now and then. My TC assured me that if for some reason I'm not ready, we can do a slower tempo or whatever. I appreciate that he is accommodating, but I want to be prepared. 

The coolest thing was that my OG TC Courtney stopped by today and watched some of my lesson. With my schedule and babysitting, I am only able to come to the studio Saturdays and that is the one day that she usually takes off. Long story short, she was really pleased with my progress (I haven't seen her since the beginning of December) and complimented my back beats and my turn out. Maybe I've been watching/Reading too much about Olympic Figure skating, because having both my teachers there made me feel like I was this super important elite athlete. LOL. I left feeling like I was over the moon, even if it wasn't perfect.

So now that I've gotten that out of the way, lets talk about my post title. A I mentioned, I'm a member of a senior lady group. I'm so glad that I asked to join because it is so motivating. I'm definitely the least experienced member, but everyone is supportive and its helped me be accountable for practicing and working out which I think has been helping me be prepared for my weekly lessons. I'm sort of rambling so...

The topic of visualization and manifestation had come up and I've dabbled in it, but never seriously. One of the gals recommended a Podcast about changing beliefs and making things happen. I listened to the first episode on the way to the studio and it was super motivating and one of the things he said was "You are Unlimited". This is already become super long, but he talked about writing your goals and affirmations down until you believe them. I was starting to that and I think it might be time to be more serious about it. 

The podcast gave 5 strategies for hacking your brain, many of which were visualizing. I've been saying my steps and imagining myself dancing them when I drive or when I'm falling asleep at night, and I really think it's helped me with my weekly preparation. I think I need to take it further for competition prep going forward.

Finally, the podcast host talked about proving to your mind that you are capable of being what you want to be by showing it results. I recently decided to go back to beginning of this blog and read it. Back when I still danced in adults, back when I was an advanced beginner, back when I was at rock bottom after Oireachtas 2017. I have come so far! Even without having Dominik and all of those major changes. We could have just redone my old steps and given me third steps and I could be competing next weekend, but I've learned completely new material and I. can. do. it. Some of it is still sloppy but I have 105 days until Hartford Feis (I think we all agreed that's probably best because my TCs can be there.) What else can I do? 

Stay tuned to find out,

Kay

Comments

Popular Posts