Humbled and Back to Basics

Week two wasn't bad, but it wasn't great either.

I'll be honest, last week went so well that I was like, "I've got this! I remember my Treble Jig steps, we'll just have to polish and add one more and I'll be all set for that round. I'll be back by Lenihan!"

Yeah well...I don't think that's going to happen...yet.

My TC asked to see my old steps and while I was able to do them for him, they were sloppy. I hit maybe one small click. I had drilled some of the stationary pieces last week, but not really in my shoes (That I think are not broken in? Did I buy new hard shoes before I got pregnant? I don't remember) We both decided right away that it would be a better use of my time to start drilling basic things because I'll be getting completely new steps anyway.

I always thought I was a stronger hard shoe dancer than soft shoe. I think that was because I was loud and I've got good timing. That being said, I think I had a lot of bad habits that were overlooked because it was a group setting, and they weren't so bad that it was inhibiting my progress. I also feel like my priorities were a bit skewed. Not only did I have four dances to focus on instead of two, I was so hellbent on getting out of the grades that I was just running my steps when I practiced, not really drilling or cross training. 

So we went all the way back to basics. Plenty to drill during the week (I need a practice pad or something) and it sounds like we're going to do more hard shoe next week. I'm slightly disappointed because I had wanted show him my slip jig lead and learn the next step (Can you believe I'm saying this?), but it's clear that hard shoe needs more work right now. 

I think the other thing that kind of made today feel a little tedious, was that Dominik came along and escaped from his baby jail during last bit of the lesson. I felt like we got a lot accomplished, but I was definitely not as focused as I could have been at the end. Unfortunately, I would not get to dance if I didn't do this some weeks, so it is what it is.

Definitely need to keep working on core (My balance has been a bit of an issue). I've been working on Stamina too, but I think I might dial that back and do more core for the time being.

Overall, today was still good, there were glimmers of drills that looked great, and I have to remind myself that I have not done this in almost THREE years. I will get better. I want to be ready if. I don't want to be last every competition, so this will be worth it even if I'm not competing until summer or fall.

Time to reset and get back to it next week.

Kay

Comments

Popular Posts