Kelly On Ice

Well, my first skating show is done and dusted. I'm mostly happy and a little bit sad....mostly because I fell.

Yup, I wrote it into existence. Not sure if it was the fresh, kinda wet ice (I went 2nd and was the first solo), or a nerves sort of thing, but I did my opening turn and fell on my butt...hard. I got up and kept going, but kind of held back the rest of the program. I survived though! Even smiled during most of it. Everyone complimented me so I guess I'm probably being harder on myself than I probably need to. The girl who opened up the second half of the show (after the Zamboni went through again) fell three times and she's a hell of a better skater than me. The ice doesn't care I guess...

The other thing I'm sorting out before Champions in two weeks is that I'm investing in better shape wear. I bought a cheapy thing and when I went to the bathroom and it rolled down with my tights and ewwwww.... "You had a baby six months ago." That's nice. I still hate it.

Not sure what I was doing here...hopefully this was gliding to my opening spot because yikes straight legs
Overall, I'm trying to tell myself that I only started this program just over a month ago. I could have just done my adult group routine and no one would thought any less of me. I'm very lucky that I am part of such a welcoming friendly club! They encouraged me to put myself out there. 

Our adult group lesson routine went really well! It was a little dicey in practice but it was the best we ever did it. No falls! And I did like half a dozen two foot spins. (I'm blaming the ice for my solo) I'm proud to say that besides our routine, we had 3 adult soloists (L did two solos) and adults in the ice dance numbers. 

I'm in a weird place now. I have one more lesson in Watertown before their skating season comes to a close. My coach assured me that we have plenty of options to keep working, but that requires talking to my husband and figuring out how often I can meet with my coach and we know how I do in those situations. I have two weeks until my next competition and while I'm hoping to polish Lovely a bit...I kind of have a feeling that if I'm competing against someone else (I doubt it but...) I probably won't get first. There are a few level three requirements that I'm just not doing confidently yet. It is what it is. Just happy to be here, you know?

I feel so lucky to have made friends with people on this journey. I'm sad that I will not see some of them until the fall. It was also really amazing to get to skate for hours yesterday and I think I'm more sore from practicing slaloms than I was from falling (I was scared for a bit last night. I had pain in places that made me wonder if I had hit more than my butt on the ice, but I feel pretty good today) All that skating made for a very grumpy and tired Kay last night. It was like a feis hang over but worse.
So sad that we didn't get a picture with N! 

L was destined to be my friend!
I have more things to talk about, but I'll save it for a different post. Sad I didn't get a picture with my coach, but maybe we will get one in a few weeks when I skate my program next. 


Kay


Comments

Popular Posts