7 Weeks A Skater

Sometimes I forget that I've only been doing this for a short time. I've always been the type to be impatient and want to get to the hard stuff as soon as I can. I can be hard on myself about not learning things as quick as I would like but I reminded myself last night that I really haven't been at this very long. Not to mention of the four people in my class I have the least experience. One woman started in September, Another came back a few weeks ago but skated as teen, and the guy in our class helps in the kid classes so the fact that I'm mostly able to keep up is GREAT. Finally, I have learned A LOT in these 7 weeks (I've also spent a lot of money AHHHHH) but in the grand scheme of things I am pleased.

Okay, now that I've given myself a pep talk. Here's what happened at yesterday's lesson.

Learn to Skate Lesson

So us adults are doing a routine for the show and it's not the dutch waltz thank God! It's to a Rascal Flats song so kill me, but I'm able to do everything in it as it's very simple and a choose your own adventure kind of deal. The four of us were cracking up doing it, so at the very least it should be fun if nothing else.

We spent the rest of the lesson working on lunges. and OMG I was so flipping afraid. I don't know if I'm worried that I'm going to pull something or what, but while everyone pretty much had them by the end, I could only do it without moving. I also fell down so many times, but at least they were low to the ground and not dangerous. I'm feeling hopeful that knowing I could fall and not get hurt will help me be a better skater.

Two lessons left until the show.

Private Lesson and Program Work

Two weeks until the show. AHHHHHH

Okay, I'm exaggerating a bit. I will have something by then, I just don't know if it will be confident because we keep on changing it! It's not anything that is really drastic, but I'm getting nervous.I did learn some new things this week and my program is longer than last week so I'm pretty happy.  The biggest improvement is I'm able to skate a bit more strongly and quickly this week. My knee bend is also improving. We worked on Chasses and that actually helped my one foot glides so there may be hope for me yet. Skating backwards is still a little rough, but it's getting better, I'm at least moving just not gliding yet.

I ran my program to music last night (and I was so slow I was still skating when the music ended LOL) but when I got off the ice for the night, two of the girls how are really good were waiting for me and they complemented me for my song choice and told me that they were so happy I was skating in the show. I thought that was so nice and makes me feel better about what I thought was hot garbage last week. I keep on telling myself that I'm more worried about the competition on March 22nd and eventually Nutmeg State Games this summer (Not sure if there will be any competitions before that)

Being A Responsible Adult

I was invited to an off ice dance intensive next weekend (Pretty much beneficial things for all those ice dance tests) and even though it was only 10 dollars I told them no. It would have been too hard to drive to the rink, drive back, and then drive again for skating. Not to mention someone would have to watch Dominik. Disappointed, but there will be others. Also...might just have to take a slower path to the top.

Test Session

They held a test session at my rink before my group lesson last night and it was an experience. I was nervous for them and I was only a spectator. Everyone had on special test session dresses (or pants. there was a boy) and then they went out and danced with the ice dance teacher while judges scored them. (Think Grade exams, Irish Dancers) Everyone from my rink passed last night and when my coach saw me watching she was like "This will be you next year". I guess they have test sessions once a month at various rinks but we only have one at ours per year. I hope I know the real version of the Dutch Waltz by then and I have just the dress to wear for it. :)

Okay, I think that's it for me for now,

Kay

Comments

Popular Posts