5 Ways Skating is Like Irish Dance and 5 ways It Isn't

As promised, here is the post where I talk about the similarities between the two sports. It was supposed to be like that fan fiction trope where it's five times of something and then one final opposite (For example "5 Times (insert character here) almost died and the 1 time they actually did) Since I'm certain there are more than 5 comparable things...I'll just keep it even.

5 Ways Figure Skating Is Like Irish Dance

1. Swarovski Cyrstals
Yup, they are a thing here too. Not only do figure skating dresses have them (Though mostly AB) but they are also glued onto things like hair scrunchies, the skates themselves, and even the tights. Yes, that's right. It's like the stoned poodle socks but so your legs sparkle. I'm not sure how I feel about that...it's kind of how I felt about tanner with dance in the beginning. Check back with me in a few years...

2. Zucca Bags
I can still use it! Apparently figure skating is what the bags are intended for (you can put your skates upright in them. I didn't use mine on Monday (I just put stuff in a duffle bag) as my Zucca still has all my dance stuff in it, but I did a double take when I saw someone had one at the rink when I started lessons.

3. Medals, Podiums, and Result Walls
While I never got to stand on the podium for dance I got to on Monday (and it's hard to do in skates let me tell you) but I got a medal very similar to my first feis medal ever. They also post if you need to attend awards. I'm not sure if tells you the placement as I was the only one in my category this past competition, but it was kind of like waiting at the result wall.

4. Everyone seems to know each other
I have heard people joke in the Irish dance world that it's really small and that if someone in the real world says they know someone that dances you probably know them too. I feel like the same could be said for skating. When I was warming up my coach was like "here, I'll put you at ease. I know five out of the six judges." Then she proceeded to rattle of their credentials and how she knew them. My friend knew exactly who the other adult skater was without seeing the program. Maybe it's too be expected in a niche hobby?

5.Group Ensembles
There are synchronized skating teams. They kind of remind me of ceilis or figures that teams do. They are beautiful and everyone is in sync. Where they are different is that you audition to be on one. You don't represent your skating club, but your state or region when you compete as multiple skaters from various clubs are involved. Definitely something I am not ready for at the moment or would probably have the time for.

Now for how they are different...

1. More Objective. Less subjective?
Okay, I might be talking out of my butt. Since people are skating one at a time they have to give their undivided attention to you, right? I also know in order for me to be in a certain level, I have to be able to perform certain moves. It's not like "Well, I NEED my winner to have perfect turnout" or "I like skinny girls" and more like "She didn't complete her snow plow stop properly.,, so deduction. But again, newbie here...might be talking out of my giant butt.

2. Placements only determine some things.
So for you to be able to enter certain categories of competitions you have to qualify. For example top four people at sectionals go to certain categories at nationals. However, I don't have to win against a certain number of people to move up to level 2. My coach decides if I've learned all the requirements and I get to move up. Eventually that will change and I will have to test to move up (once I get up Pre-bronze and up) Think of it like grade exams but with you own special program.

3. No wigs
I mean this is kind of obvious, but they don't even really want you using bobby pins or anything that could fall out mid spin or jump. Lots of ponytails and hair net buns. Got to figure out how to glam it up.

4. Your coach is able to be rink side.
I can't speak for champ kids because I never got there but my TC had so many kids that she was often bouncing from stage to stage and even when she could stay in one place she was usually up out of the way. I was able to talk to my coach minutes before I went on and as I was warming up. Not sure if it's because there are less competitors at competitions or what.

5. Adult. Beeping. Nationals.
I have gotten the vibe that I'll probably be slugging it out in the trenches by myself for a while. But eventually when I get to Pre-bronze (I think) I can compete at adult nationals with lots of other competitors! An adult only nationals where I would be on the younger end of the competitor range. BRING IT.

Tata for now,

Kay

Comments

Popular Posts