Born to Make History

I'm going to start this entry off by talking about something slightly off topic. I'm like...a year late to the rodeo, but I just finished watching YURI ON ICE and it was SO good!

Okay, so besides getting really into figure skating after this years Olympics (Evgenia Medvedeva is my favorite!), the plot really struck a chord with me. Yuri is a self destructive, older figure skater who thinks he'll never be good enough. Without giving too much away, he has a complete transformation by the end of the season and I really could relate to him (well, minus the whole secretly being in love with his coach Victor thing. Haha Super cute though!) The theme song (and lyric for today's entry title) is called History Maker and I have started listening to it (and subjecting my Saturday beginners to it when we stretch lol) Who knew an Anime could help my mental game?

Plenty report since my last post. The two months have been quiet but not unproductive. My St. Patrick's day was pretty low key this year. I only did three shows, but I did dance for the preschool-second grade at my school in my old dress which everyone gushed over haha. It went pretty good, but it is so hard to dance solo one dance after the other. Haha. My actual St. Pats performances we fairly easy, I danced in our annual parade, at a children's book store, a local restaurant, and a nursing home. I got many compliments on my dancing which was nice. 

I think one of the coolest things that has changed in the last few weeks is that I am now responsible for our satellite location. This was always the plan for next year, but long story short, I started teaching for money after Easter! Including my Saturday class, I have two beginner classes and an advanced beginner hard shoe class. That's two numbers for the recital this year! There is a part of me that thinks back to the girl that did lyrical, jazz, and ballet for ten years and wonders what she would have thought if she knew someday she'd share a dance school with someone (well not really because I pay no bills or what have you, but you get it...I teach, I give my opinion towards decisions, etc). I don't know if she'd believe me. The best part is that I'm only at the grocery store once a month and during the summer so that's GREAT.

I sold my dress! It was quite an ordeal actually, but thankfully it all worked out. I had someone commit to buying it, pay me, and I shipped it to them only to have to refund them and have it sent back later in the week. It was all for the best because one of my good feis friends ended up buying it instead. Not only does it look better on her than it ever did on me, but I'll still get to see it from time to time!

I have only done one competition since I last wrote, but I'm continuing to be happy with my progress and how things are going with my mental game. I had to dance three at a time in large groups at Lenihan. This used to rattle me, I would be so worried about not hitting anyone that I would be a bundle of nerves. No worries this time around. I just tried to be relaxed and sure of myself that I knew what to do and I was not disappointed. Just out of placing for everything except for Hornpipe. Now I know that I often talk about a judge that dislikes me through association and maybe if I looked back I would remember if I talked about a different judge, but long story short this judge likes what he likes. For two years I've gotten nothing but TURN OUT, UP OFF HEELS, or CROSS MORE from him. I think he placed me one other time when I was all novice. Well, lately he's been just placing me out but seeming to be into my dancing. At Lenihan I didn't freak out when I saw him like I used to. I just danced my best and tried to think about all the things I've been working on. HE GAVE ME 4TH OUT OF 16! I got a trophy and everything. If he placed me in a prizewinner dance that means that things are definitely improving. Anything is possible!

Before results. Back in the school dress because my old dress was hanging up for sale!
I've been working my @$$ off. I have been drilling and working on stamina and doing so much that it's my first day of spring break and I'm laying down because my feet have been hurting and I think they're telling me I need a break. Haha. Regardless, I think it's paying off and my TC seems happy. I still have a long way to go...especially with slip jig. That's back to being the roughest of the four at the moment, but it will be worth it (Prelim level steps are hard! I don't even have a half yet!) Sat down and made my game plan for the next few months. Going to try to do 9 competitions between now and September. I think the more I can work on improving and getting my mental game strong the better. As I write this I'm feeling very inspired and motivated. Ready to put my shoes on tomorrow morning! My next competition is Lynn and if you'll be there say hi! I didn't go last year because of my elbow injury!

Finally, my new dress arrived Monday! IT IS SO BEAUTIFUL I'M NOT KIDDING, I CRIED. I have been super secretive about it, mostly because I'm thinking about doing a big reveal or even having someone take artsy pictures of me in it. When I met with Shauna I had asked for it to be flattering and make me feel confident. I've only worn it in my bedroom and at class to show my TC and I can tell you that it does both. It's so light, I can't wait to wear it to Lynn. That being said, I tried the new hair piece with my bun wig today, and I'm not sure if it's because it's new or because I'm committed to a new me...but I think going to get a full wig. I mean, people cosplay all the time. Why not cosplay the princess version of myself? Haha Either way, you'll be seeing the new look on May 6th!

Okay, I think that's everything,

Kay


Comments

  1. Your progress posts gives me life! I'm 23 and hoping to start Irish dance as a beginner this fall!! From what little i've read your hard work has been paying off! Also I LOVE Yuri on Ice! My friends and I have cosplayed from the show and have been steady in our figure skating lessons!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do it!

      My life has been 10,000 times better since starting dance. I have made so many friends and learned so much in four short years!

      I hope the next season of Yuri on Ice comes out soon! I miss it!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts