Just the Updates

Sorry for the lack of posting. This is partly due to the fact that I don't have any competitions, other facets of my life have been more important, and I refuse to vlog with a gigantic zit on my face. Haha But I figured I would check in with what I've been up to dance wise.

-I'm in a transitional period as 3 out of my 5 dances have new steps. (Technically, I still have light Jig until my class feis, so six dances?) Either way, I'm full of mixed feelings. The part of me that marvels at where I've come from is thrilled. I have slow tempo hard shoe dances, I'm starting to hit more of my clicks, my slip jig is graceful and takes up the whole stage. The perfectionist in me is annoyed. I was so used to picking things up quickly. Practicing steps over the weekend and being nearly perfect at the next class. They aren't disasters. Honestly and truly, I need to just relax in the second step of my new slip jig and it's ready for competition. When I rush it gets off. My hard shoe on the other hand, though coming along, lacks stamina. If I make it all the way through on both sides I'm practically dead afterward. If I get through it. That's been annoying. If it's not my stamina causing me to stop, it's someone starting their steps too early and scaring me, etc. I don't like it. I have this thing were I like to be the best and feel as prepared as possible. I've been able to practice a bit more in the last few weeks (still not as much as I would like, but it's better than nothing.) My TC also assured me that the jump from advanced beginner to Novice is difficult and that mastering the harder rhythms and patterns takes time. She doesn't seem too worried, so I guess I shouldn't be yet either. Also if worse comes to worse, I can always dance my fast ones. I just don't want to.

-My class feis is in less than 2 weeks. It seemed so far away, but it's already creeping up. I am doing everything that I did at O'Rourke and Shamrock though my TC is giving us the option to possible try dances without our number to just get used to doing it in a competitive setting. I think that will all depend on how well I can get the directions of the new hard shoe steps under my belt in 13 days.

-The spring looks like it will be picking up quickly. I'm already signed up for The Gray Feis April 2nd and Lenihan April 3rd. Guess that should show you how I feel about double feis weekends since I'm already doing another one. I'm also planning on doing Horgan April 9th (It's literally 20 minutes from my house. Besides the Torrington Feis, it doesn't get closer than that!) I'm going back to Lynn in May (just haven't paid for it yet) and probably going to venture into the Mid Atlantic region for another may feis (Because Pender Keady? Where are you?) Hartford and New Haven in June.

-Going along with the feis schedule, I've made myself a motivational chart. Now that I know I can place in Novice dances, it's time to start perfecting them. I've made a card for each of the dances that I still need to win to get into prizewinner. When I finally do, I'll take the card down and flip over one of the pieces above that will spell out prizewinner. As you can see from the picture below, one piece is already turned over because of my Shamrock win. :)



-St. Patrick's week is going to literally be insane. But I'm excited. Our Piece for the Wolfpack is finished. Now we have to polish and perfect. People are coming to watch me dance...I'm stunned.

-Finally, I have really huge news! Like goals on a whole new level, emotional tears of joy news. But unfortunately, it is not my news to share just yet. All I will say is that my 2016-2017 dance year is going to be different and exciting and I'm going to be doing something I've always wanted to do, but didn't think I would do yet because I've only been competing for a few years. As soon as I'm allowed to spill the beans I will be posting about it!

Kay 

Comments

Popular Posts